Discover Where We're Drumming From, Live!
The Chicago Djembe Project Ensemble: African Drumming from the Malinke of West Africa
The Chicago Djembe Project Ensemble, one of Chicago's top traditional djembe groups, performs the intricate, melodic, energetic percussion music of the Malinke people of Guinea, West Africa. You'll love their performances!
The CDP Ensemble (above, at Nichols Park, Chicago, Fall 2004):
Steve Foster, Bass Drums, Djembe
Jim Banks, Bass Drums, Solo Djembe
Lilian Friedberg, Leader/Solo Djembe, Bass Drums
Sam Stokes, (not shown) Bass Drums
(shown above, at Nichols Park, Chicago, Fall 2004:
Member Emeritus Walter Afable, Bass Drums, Djembe)
The Chicago Djembe Project has appeared at...
- Hyde Park Art Center Creative Move Too
- Chicago Humanities Festival at Chicago Children's Museum, Navy Pier
- Rhythm Night Club, Chicago VIDEOS >
- Garfield Park Conservatory
- The Dance Center at Columbia College
- Old Town School of Folk Music
- Vaudeville Underground VIDEOS >
- World Folk Music Company
- Fourth World Artisans
- Chicago Public Schools (Byrd, Bass, Hinton, Shoesmith and Murray)
- University of Chicago VIDEOS >
- University of Illinois/Chicago
- University of Wisconsin/Madison VIDEO >
- University of Tennessee/Knoxville
- Beloit College, Wisconsin
- Oakton Community College
- AKF USA Partnership Walk Against Global Poverty at Soldier Field
- Illinois Dept. of Human Services Health Fair, West Side, Chicago
- Center On Halsted Anti-Violence Candle Light Vigil
- Performances with Master Drummer Famoudou Konaté in Toronto and Portland, Maine
- Performances with Famoudou's nephew and apprentice, Nansedy Keita and Sayon Camara VIDEOS >
Artistic Director Lilian Friedberg is an outstanding Djembe Soloist who has studied and performed with the masters of her instrument on stages in Europe, Africa and North America for over 16 years. Co-Leader Jim Banks is Famoudou Konaté's "official Sangbanfola" in the U.S.
The CDP Ensemble can bring you full-length concerts or shorter sets. We perform in nightclubs, concert venues, schools, institutions, for community groups and at private functions.
Contact us to book a performance.
THE CHICAGO DJEMBE PROJECT
Lilian Friedberg, Artistic Director/Instructor
Jim Banks, Manager/Instructor
2849 E. 93rd St. Chicago, IL 60617
t: 773-251-8067 e: firstname.lastname@example.org